THE LITTLE SUNS PAY A VISIT
It is a summer evening at the sea side. A group of friends gather to watch the sunset and look at the bright shiny green spot the sun leaves when sinking into the ocean until the following day.
The air is clean and there is a cloudless blue sky.
Gonzalo and Sophie are in the group. Sitting on the sand they watch the horizon and the gulls that fly across the sky to their nests.
The sun is gone and soon the boys and girls get up to return to their homes. On their way back Sophie calls Gonzalo:
- Gonzalo, I have to tell you something. They also invited me.
- They invited you? Who?
- Your friends. The little suns...
- The Auruses? Why didn't you tell me before? When did it happen?
- In the spring, when I was ill. They took me to a magic country. You can't imagine what an incredible experience it was! I still keep the golden slippers as a souvenir...
- I am so happy you met them! Now I can share my secret with someone. Nobody believed me when I talked about them. So I never mentioned them again.
-Well, they wouldn't believe me either. I haven't even tried to tell anyone about them. I am afraid people might think that I am out of my mind.
At first they looked at each other very seriously, and then Gonzalo and Sophie burst into laughter.
-I would love to see them again, Gonzalo!
-The truth is I meet them every day, but I cannot distinguish them as well as I did when I was in bed and they visited to make me feel better.
-Well, I see them like that too, and I say hello to them. Whenever I can, I blow gently and they dance. But I would like to talk to them again.
-What do you think if we call them? What if they can hear us? Maybe they will come to visit us when we are together.
-Let's meet tomorrow in a quiet place. Let's see... At the sand dunes perhaps, near the shrubs. Nobody goes there at noon. All right?
-That's fine. Tomorrow, at twelve o'clock.
Then Gonzalo and Sophie say good bye.
The following day at the agreed hour they meet at the sand dunes. The sun is high in the sky and its rays fall straight down. There are no shadows to be seen. Between the branches of a solitary old tree, one can see the Auruses in a happy feast. The two friends approach them and shout:
-King Aurus... all you Auruses! We would like to talk to you!
A gentle breeze adds to the slight blow caused by their voices.
As Gonzalo and Sophie look more intently, the Auruses gradually start to appear before the children's eyes.
King Aurus is the first one to approach them, followed by a long train of Auruses.
-Hello children! It is good to meet the two of you in such a beautiful place! You want to talk to us, is that right?
- Oh, yes, King Aurus, we do. Now that we both know you really exist and that you travel all day long to and from the Sun we would like to know more about you.
- Yes, your Majesty. You told me you healed people who were ill and needed sunshine. But what else? How do you do it? Who else knows about you?
The words are pouring out of Gonzalo's mouth.
-We could get together and talk during the next three days. At this time of the day sunshine cannot penetrate the houses so we can take a break. During these meetings we will tell you more about us and our Kingdom. What do you think?
-Wonderful! I love the idea! -cries Sophie, who since her visit to the magic land is much more talkative.
-I also like the idea very much, King Auro -adds Gonzalo.
-All-right then, we shall meet tomorrow at noon. Good bye...
As soon as the first slanted shadow of the tree that shelters the children from the sun appears, the King and the Auruses flee.
Sophie and Gonzalo are very excited. They promise not to tell anyone about their encounter because they fear spoiling their secret.