Book Marketing Strategies
What should I consider when creating a marketing plan?
You can create a marketing plan at any stage of your writing and publishing process (the earlier, the better). A marketing plan is a document that lists the actions necessary for you to achieve your marketing goals. It is important to write down several specifics in this plan. This includes identifying your target audience, defining your objectives, identifying your competitors, and laying out a strategy to attract readers.
Here's a quick breakdown of how to clarify and define a few essential pieces of your marketing plan:
- Identifying your target audience. What types of people are most likely to purchase and read your book? For whom did you write it? Consider the age, sex, career, income, residence/location and education level of each group of readers who might be interested in and benefit from your book.
- Attracting readers. Once you've determined who you want to reach, consider which magazines and publications they read, which websites they visit, etc. Knowing this information can help you decide which Archway Publishing marketing services might be good options for your book.
- Identifying the competition. You can use the competitive book market to your advantage. See which books are selling the most within your genre, study top writers in your genre, identify the strengths and weaknesses of your competitors and research the selling price of books that are similar to yours. Research market trends and study competing book covers. Learn what's expected, what works and what you can do to stand out.
- Developing a position statement. Determine what separates your book from the crowd, and develop a statement that highlights those qualities and speaks to your target readers. Use this when you talk to interested readers or contact media outlets and professionals.
- Setting a budget. How much can you realistically spend on book marketing over the next year? Over the next two years? Consider which media and marketing materials you will use as well as all the other costs associated with marketing your book.
Once you have gathered the information to answer these questions and others, you are ready to take the next step and fully develop your marketing strategy based on these specifics. Talk through your plan with an Archway Publishing consultant to learn how our publishing packages and marketing services might help you reach your goals.